Translate The Page

Dying on the Streets of Gold



(The Journey)


It was morning around 11:00 am, the clouds were kinda heavy but looked very far away moving in clusters as though they were on street campaign. The sky was cool and fairly bright and the sun was yet to be really sighted. The weather was slightly windy too and the air molecules moved in constant slow motions, as though it was having a majestic trek around the globe. I laid on the slightly bent wooden couch as I stretched my beautiful thin legs forward, diverting a quarter of my attention to my even-toned skin. I’ve always cherished my skin, I feel my beauty is attributed to it.


Spending time at the beach is part of summer vacations for many people. There is nothing like building in the sand, jumping in the waves, and soaking up the sun. Looking out at the vast ocean having beauty all its own. Capturing the sun rising and setting off the horizon is a favourite beach activity to start and end each day. For many, going to the beach is a chance to get away from stress and hectic schedules. It is a chance to enjoy the sun, sand, water and time with family and friends. This was the case with me, except that this time, not with family and friends. I was just trying to cool off. Although I wished some of my friends are with me so we could have some ‘ladies gist’.

Waves come crashing to grey sullen shores. Powerful and strong, it breathes and roars. Cascading and caressing each grain of sand. A warm embrace between … (Telephone rings) … sea and land. My lover boy is calling.

“Hello Angel!” He said in his deep masculine voice as I picked his call. “Hi dearie!” I replied

“Baby, I’ve been expecting your call” I continued

“Sweetheart, I’m deeply sorry!” He responded. One of the things I love Dave for is his softness, in that softness lies his charm. His softness melts the hard heart like wax in the presence of heat.

“So tell me Olivia, how is it going over there?” Dave asked, of course with a smile. Don’t ask me how I knew he was smiling.

“Oh well, I’m having a nice time with my cup of juice and camera.”

“Camera? What for?” Dave asked

“Taking selfie and snapping dolphins.”

“Dolphins?” Dave responded laughing.



“Oh my God! Baby, you can’t believe it but there are very beautiful dolphins here. I’ll show you the pictures when you come over to my place in the evening.” I told him.

“Oh!” He said as I heard him clearing his throat. “That reminds me, how should this evening be dear? At your place or at Zoes Kitchen?”

Zoes Kitchen is our favourite restaurant, something like your regular KFC, we haven’t been there in about three weeks, I’ve missed the chicken so much. For about five seconds, I was in the middle of two opinions.

“Uhm…” I muttered in a childish manner. “Zoes kitchen, but you must likewise come to my house tomorrow Dave”. I said, because it has been about four days ago he came to my place the last time.

Laughing he responded “You know what Olivia? We will discuss that when we see this evening, I need to get back to work now. You are the one on official leave. I love you Olivia!”

“Uhm alright, till evening, I love you too.” I responded and the phone dropped, somehow I felt he has outsmarted me in the discussion but then, no problem at least I’ll have a chance of the chicken I’ve missed. And that was it as he said, I’m on an official leave for two weeks. Do you now realize why I am alone at the beach in the morning of a working day?



My name is Olivia JONES, and I’m the CIO (Chief Information Officer) at my father’s telecommunication firm Z-mobile US which has its headquarters located at San Diego, California. The business was just seven years at the time, but joining in the scaling up in the last three years has really been with a lot of responsibilities. Dave and I had been courting for two years also and this was the year before we got married. Everything for me is in place and I love the woman I was.

At 4:50pm, I was already at Zoes Kitchen. Dave had texted me earlier that we meet by 5pm. Although in my heart, I’ll usually give him an allowance of 15minutes lateness. I sat patiently and confidently with a bottle of coke, which I had almost exhausted. I was browsing through my phone and I saw something quite funny. Right there, my tall and handsome man was walking in, his coiled hairs were well combed and dark, his clothes a bit rumpled, work must have been a bit demanding today.
Nonetheless, I thought not to keep the laughter to myself. So as soon as we greeted and he took his seat before me I gave him my phone to read through. To my surprise, he read aloud.

“This is impossible!”, “Betty, it’s hard for me to believe that I’m responsible for any pregnancy I can’t be fooled, No! Dr. Adams told me six weeks ago that I won’t be able to impregnate a woman until I’m properly cured of infertility infections.” “Confused, Betty cried profusely”.

“Oh, poor Betty!” Dave said laughing as he returned the phone to me, “the guy outsmarted her”. He continued, “The same way you outsmarted me this morning too” I replied.

“What are you talking about?” Dave asked

“Never mind!”  I stylishly waved the discussion temporarily, I still determined to raise it later.

“So, what do you want to have?” Dave requested.

"The usual with a bottle of cocacola." I replied.





“Olivia, another bottle of cocacola?” Dave asked softly, I could see the concern in his retina, they were fastened on me as though he was beholding a little child.



(Hill and Valleys)


"How many bottles have you taken today, Olivia?" To which I replied "Just three, baby." Then, I paused to exhaust the bottle I was presently drinking at the time. "Please, you know I wouldn't enjoy any meal without the drink." I continued pleading. On a normal day, I cannot but take at least two bottles of the drink and sometimes I take up to three to five of it in a single day.

"It's alright Olivia, but you hardly remember that this might not be perfect for your health dearie." Dave said.



"I know, but don't worry I'll be fine" I replied convincingly. "If you say so" Dave finally said.

I didn't want a continuation of that discussion so I needed another discussion to be raised. Immediately, I remembered a serious matter Dave wasn't aware of yet, it was about my elder sister, Elisa's son. But also, we were yet to discuss how his work went that day. At the time Dave was already reaching out to the waiter for our order.


"Yeah Dave, gist me, how was work today?" I asked.

"It really went well sweetheart, except that the new set of recruits hired are really not getting their work fast, these ones are a bit slow in learning and they are giving the recruitment team a lot of tensity."

"Oh, how do you mean?" I asked again, so I could get a measure of details and gist too.

"I mean, it has been six weeks now since their recruitment started but they are ... " The waiter brought our order, interrupting the discussion. "Thank you!" Dave said to him with a faint smile.

"Yeah dear, it has been six weeks now since their recruitment started. They are acting like babies still, everything just has to be repeated and spelt out for them to understand. I've not handled any other recruitment batch as them." He paused to take a spoon of food as he had watched me take two spoons already.

"Except for Robinson anyway, he is the only smart one among the seventeen, but the rest are drawing back his learning process." He continued. "I was even supposed to sort out certain things with the HR Department today but the recruits took the most of my time." He finally concluded.

"Oh, sorry dear! How could they have stressed my one and only Dave? You know what dear? Just be more patient with them, uhm? There are a few times when we are also slow at learning a particular thing." I told him to ease the tension.

"Well, Olivia I understand I'll need to exercise patience, but I still need them to learn at a faster pace. It will be to the good of all parties involved." Dave said.

"They will catch up dear, I believe. Have you heard from Elisa or her husband lately?" I responded, trying to raise the matter now.


"Oh, the last time I saw her husband Anthony was last Thursday. Is anything the matter?" Dave asked. I was trying to complete the ingestion of the percent of food in my mouth at the moment, before responding.

"Quite saddening dear, their son got a bit ill  in the last few days, he is currently in the hospital I went to see pay a visit this afternoon after I had left the beach."

"Damn! Why again?" Dave queried with a mixture of shock and a bit of anger.

Elisa's son was still in the hospital last month and he got discharged just two weeks ago. His bodily organs are very healthy as the doctors say, but the recurrent sickness is a bit of concern.

"Well, as I was told this afternoon, it isn't something serious, it's just common cold and flu. The only concern for me was that he had just left the hospital few weeks ago." I said.

"Exactly! He will be fine, I'll reach out to them via a phone call tonight too. He will build a stronger immune system as he grows up." Dave replied.

"I hope so too!" I added.



From there it was chat upon chat, moving from one discussion to the other. Dave and I really had a very nice time out that evening. And you know what? I still made him come to my place the following day. I just knew I'll have my way.


Sooner than I thought, my official leave was ended. The human physiology is designed to love pleasure.I resumed back to work after my leave. I had missed work a lot too. Work in the technology and telecommunication field is really interesting although it has its demands too just like many other work sectors. I so much love work in Z-mobile, it has opened me to countless opportunities like official visits to very special locations outside America, meeting with the President personally quite
a number of times too, among many others.

Mini-Dept meeting at Z-mobile US

One very important thing about myself I forgot to tell you earlier on is my passion to create an impact in my world, this is one thing Dave and I have in common. This led us to start a foundation which caters for the nature-disadvantaged children even before we got married. Many of the children who became homeless due to quite a number of factors of which I don't want to give details. The vision of our foundation was for education. Sponsoring the children through basic education level and through college. We started with three of such children, but they became four before the end of the same year.


The First Four Kids of Olivia-Dave Foundation


Dave and I got married the following year and in less than five years, we already had our two kids James and Maya. The two are very lovely children and I cherish them so much. I've always showered the best of my love upon them. Our foundation home also grew to accommodate seventy-five children at the time. We took those children as ours and they also took us as their parents. At every stage of my life, there was a measure of fulfillment. Although I knew, there was more waiting for me.

My Nuclear Family in 2003
Three of my foundation kids were my choicest, I love everyone of them equally. But these ones won my heart more by their exceptional character of tolerance and kindness. Those were Charles, Rosalie and Isabella. The three had something in common, they were soft-hearted. For example, last year it was Charles who led up a team that organized a mini pre-birthday party for me. He took up menial jobs and saved up his income for a whole year, others did the same for two months they put the money together for a surprise pre-birthday party for me. And it was really an awesome time for everyone of us as an extended family though not linked by biology.

At an hangout with some of Olivia-Dave foundation kids
My heart melted when I learnt of how the money was raised, although I had to scold him a little, but really that Charles for you. He is so sacrificial. Isabella on the other hand is always on the lookout for James and Maya, my biological kids. She's one of those who treats them with more than the love of biological siblings. All the seventy five children at the foundation are my lovely children and they all have their uniqueness. Sometimes, we just hang out and have fun as an extended family.

Nine Months Old Maya

But barely two years after the birth of Maya, I started to notice some strange signs in my body, of which the most occurring one was, getting easily fatigued after working a little. This was first noticed by my closest work mates, and then Dave likewise. This was the beginning of the darkest moments of my life.

I ignored the signs at their early beginnings, but it kept reoccurring and even got worse. 27th day of March 2004, I decided to go to the hospital. I walked into the hospital's big reception dressed in a red top and blue jean trousers. Reaching out to a nurse who must be in her early 30's I informed her that I would like to meet with Dr. Smith Donald.

"Okay, do you have an appointment with him?" She asked with a welcoming smile.
"Yes, I do. I was asked to meet with him 2:00 pm today." I replied
"Okay, do take your seat, you will be called upon soon." She said as she pointed me towards where seats were positioned.
"Thank you!" I said as I turned to take my seat.

As  I sat, varying thoughts kept running through my mind. I had been to the hospital a week earlier for a series of test and I was here today for the conclusion of all the tests performed.




My heart kept running across hills and valleys as I hoped my medical result will be favourable for my present heart conditioning. I gazed long at the white painted walls of the hospital reception, but little attention to the movements of the people who passed and walked across the reception to the wards and offices, right before me. I was almost beginning to see a shadow of myself in my imaginations.

Solace, please come and calm my soul, my little troubled mind, for this is what I need to brace me up and make me feel whole again. Empathy, what I need is for someone to see, someone to see the real me, I'm smelling the unknown and my heart beats fast in slow motion. This is really a controversial contradiction.

Dr. Smith Donald's Office
I sat for about fifteen minutes before I was called upon and led to the doctors' office. The troubles of my mind made me pay little attention to the details of the room. The only thing I remember was the doctor holding his phone on the left hand and my test results on the other. He asked me to take my seat as he handed me the test results and told me in a summary.

"Mrs. Francis, the test results show that you are diabetic. Type 2 diabetes precisely."

My heart sank, far too deep for hope. Francis is my husband's surname which I also took up after marriage. I know a bit about Type 2 diabetes, I have read about it in a few medical journals. As though Dr. Smith wanted the world to vanish at my sight, he went ahead to say, though in a kind manner.

"Mrs. Olivia Francis, the test results further revealed that the illness is close to a chronic stage. Signs of Retinopathy and Nephropathy are being detected. It took you too long before visiting the hospital. You should have at the early stages of the signs." Dr. Smith continued.


At this point I could no longer feel my heartbeat, I couldn't see any other thing in the room. But I didn't want to interrupt the Doctor's communication.

"You will overcome it Mrs Olivia, there are cases of people who were diagnosed of this and later got cured completely. Although many others got worse. But just be strong and don't lose hope. Do relate these things with your family, your husband especially."  Dr. Smith emphasized.

Now, I could no longer hold it. The confusion and sadness was clearly written all over my face.

"What exactly is Retinopathy and Neph .. the other stuff I don't know doctor?" I said almost screaming.

Dr. Smith sighed before he continued,

"Retinopathy is characterized by increased vascular permeability, by vascular closure mediated by the formation of new blood vessels - neovascularization, on the retina and posterior surface of the vitreous. Diabetic retinopathy is a micro vascular disease, characterized by damage to the blood vessels and retina of the eyes."


"Diabetic Nephropathy is a common and serious complication where kidneys are damaged and fails to function. The reason is due to persistent high blood sugar level in the blood. In the early phase of nephropathy drugs and diet can control the condition. For you this is still in the early phase, Mrs. Olivia. It can be controlled and completely cured."



In summary, the doctor meant that I have potential blindness and kidney failure, if the situation worsens. He gave me an article on Nutrition for diabetics, gave me medications and also another appointment the following week. He also said I'll have to conduct regular check-up to watch and control the illness I am just aware of having.

I related everything with my husband Dave as the doctor instructed. He assured me we would fight through it together, he comforted me, wiped my tears, chilled my fears and kept speaking words of hope. But still, my heart was shattered.

Anytime I'm alone, there was  a cold dark corner in the back of my room, it speaks to me and says I'm coming for you. As I lie on my bed in the fetal position, my eyes are closed hoping and wishing that I'll truly overcome this.


At this point I knew I needed to speak with my parents also and keep them informed about this struggle, my mum especially. I know I have not told you about my parents Mr. and Mrs. Jones themselves. I'll tell you about them.

But the truth is this, I didn't want to tell my mum about this. I know her kind of personality, I already knew what she would say. This was my second internal battle, a battle I had been having for years. Tears rolled out of my face.

Mama, Papa and Dave have always had something to say about my diet. They have always told me watch, but I didn't take the warnings important. The fries, the burgers and even the carbonated drink I was addicted to. Now the Doctor says I'll have to limit them. But, I felt I wasn't adding weight. I thought I was very much okay with it. But this isn't the only struggle, there is a bigger struggle.

Mama especially is a strong Christian, and she has always wanted me to be like her. But Dave and I have never been ready for such a sort of living. It looks controlling to me especially. I've always wanted to be free, and that has been since my teenage years.

"Olivia! What exactly is happening to you?" I screamed at myself sobbing uncontrollably. Dave had left the house earlier to the groceries.


"Olivia, why do you feel like you are dying?" I screamed at myself again, rolling on the ground in tears.

(Dying on The Streets of Gold)


Dave returned from the groceries and found me really shattered, the burst of emotions that ran through his mind were a strange blend of shock, sadness and disappointment. He has never seen me this way before.

"Olivia! Olivia!" He paused, running to meet me and dropping his mobile phone on the floor beside me.

"Sweetheart, why are you doing this to yourself?" He continued.

"Dear, I cannot help it, I cannot ... " I cried.

"Olivia, this is not the end of the world, you are not the first to pass through this, and this will not be your last battle likewise." "Olivia, I know you to be strong, I know you to be a warrior." These were Dave's statements.

"Dave ... " I could only call his name, before I continued with my tears.

"Sweetheart, I know you to have a fighting spirit. You fought to scale up your Dad's business. You are strong Olivia." He continued to say, picking up a face towel on the bed to wipe my tears. That night  he did all the best to assure me that I'll be fine, But deep down I still kept sensing that death was near. An inner knowing I just couldn't explain, the only part I could explain was that a strange fear gripped my heart.

Dave helped to prepare a light dinner for us that night, we all ate and went to bed.

The following day, I went see my Mum.

As I had earlier promised, let me tell you a bit about my parents too.


Mr. and Mrs. Bill and Victoria Jones are a very lovely couple, they gave birth to two daughters Elisa and I. They have this special interest in education, although none of them were really into the education field as a long-term career path. But they emphasized the importance of education to us and did the best they could to give us the best level of education they could afford at every time. My Dad served with a corporate finance firm for seventeen years, he served as the head of the firm's media department before he later resigned to start his own company Z-mobile US. My mum on the other hand is currently serving as laboratory technician in Van Decero Hospital, she is currently the head of her department in the hospital likewise.

We weren't raised in a religious background. But sometimes around my mid-teenage days, my parents became so committed and they wanted to start forcing their decisions on us. This led to a lot of struggles between my parents and I for the rest of my teenage years, especially my mum. They gave their reasons, but those reason to me were never considered valid. Elisa still flowed easily with them than I could.

One more thing about my parents is their love for pets, dogs especially. One of my childhood pet was Jean, but I lost him when I was eleven years and I really cherish the moments with Jean especially. I had another after then, but he wasn't as cherished as Jean. Jean's fur colour, stature and vibes were exceptional, always communicating vibes and cuteness.

So I went to pay my mum this visit, I had called her very early that morning and she told me she had that day off.

As I drove to my parents home, I had my mind made up. I knew some of things my mum would say, and I was ready for it. I only needed to carry them along to have their moral support likewise, nothing more.



Getting to my mum's home, I found out they already had a new house keeper, he helped me with the things I had bought on the way. Mum and I greeted with huge smiles and laughter, I was still hiding my emotional pains. The old woman was so happy to see me. It has been a while I paid them a visit. She has really missed me, and I saw that in her.

Mum and I discussed many matters before I finally opened up the reason for my visit. But she took it more lighter than I thought she would. I expected her to nail me for my conflicting decisions with respect to hers, but she on the other hand handled it softly, and it was a bit surprising to me. She told me all that I would have loved to hear, that I would overcome, that she would pray for me, that she understands my current state. She said she wouldn't lose me when she is still alive. I began to smell rat, I began to suspect someone had pre-informed Mrs. Jones about all I was telling her. I was prepared for argument and a bit of contention, but to my surprise none of that came up.

She even raised matters that made us laugh together. One of which was her upcoming birthday. It's coming up in three weeks. I promised to make myself and family available. I told she should leave it to myself and my sister Elisa, we would give her surprises. She called my husband, Dave in my presence, and told him more of how I needed him the most at the time, and she prayed with him that we would overcome.

My burdened was a bit eased in her presence, I was so happy with the atmosphere. I spent even more time than I planned to spend with her. She gave me a gift card to my husband as I preparing to leave, she told me she would love to meet my kinds James and Maya soon. And you know what as I was about to enter my car, she said "Olivia, at this time, you need to get closer to God." I smiled, but deep in my heart I thought "I knew it, mummy would say something related to that, but I'm surprised she restrained that statement till now. Olivia, it's nothing to worry about." I thought to myself.

"Bye mum!" That was the reply I gave instead.

"Bye!" Mum said as she waved, while I drove out of her presence.

(Vibes Around Me, Death Within Me)


Mum's birthday came at the time it was supposed and it really was a blast. Everyone had fun. My family and Elisa's family spent the weekend at our parent's house. The weekend was so lively for everyone. But for me, I kept having physiological disturbances, the symptoms of my sickness kept on resurfacing. I knew I'll have to be in the hospital again the following Monday.

Everyone around me puts on a smiling face, but for me this was my dying phase. I could no more eat like everybody does. Now I know what junks are, now I'm forced to understand empty calories, insulin is a part of my medication. Now I can explain hyperglycemia. I have been on restricted diet. My favourite foods have stopped been favourite. Now, my body regects them. Friends and family were praying for me, but I do not know my fate.


I went to see Dr. Smith the following Monday, he placed me on another kind of medication. The truth of the matter is I was getting worse, my health was not getting better at all. Six months later, I was eventually hospitalized. My blood sugar level kept increasing, my kidneys were failing. A surgery has to be performed, I got transferred to John Hopkins Hospital, 1800 Orleans St, Baltimore, MD 21287, United States.



Day after day, I was dying the more. Week after week, seeing the afterlife even in the faces of friends and relatives. The darkness surrounded me, it kept getting so cold. My world was so empty, all that was left was pain. No sunshine to light my way, just never-ending rain. Many times I drowned in tears, my heart kept crying. I felt no one seems to notice that my soul was dying. I gave up on God, and I gave up on myself. The doctors already said I have a fifty-fifty chance of surviving the surgery.
Dave had signed the needed documents for the doctors to proceed. Mum and Papa kept praying for me. The matured ones amidst my foundation kids kept looking after me.

I never expected to live after the surgery, but the surgery came and like a miracle I survived. I couldn't believe that I woke up again after the surgery. I thought I was gone for good. But after I woke up, something had changed on my inside. The solid fear that gripped my heart was gone.  Two weeks after the experience, there was records of rapid recovery. Deep on my inside, I knew God had given me a second chance. A month after all medical test ran negative. The doctors said it will take me three month to be fully back on my feet even if I survived the surgery. But just a month and I was fully okay.

The test were run multiple times to affirm that It was gone. My miracle broke me down completely, I knew the only one I had to live my life for was Him. I never though that I would be preserved despite my stubbornness and strong will. I knew it was a second chance and I started to live for God. I kept a solid friendship with my parents. Dave and I became living Christians too.

"James, Maya" I called them as I looked into the faces of my growing children. James is now fourteen and Maya is eleven.

"Now, I can eat the chips you made for us. Now I can take this bottle of cocacola, because a miracle happened in my life." I continued and they smiled.

"But I learnt the hard way, that a good nutrition is vital for a good health. As good as anything is, one important key in nutrition is moderation. Don't take too much kids." I finally concluded the story I was telling my kids and their three friends who came on a visit.

"Sweetheart! Olivia!" Dave called from the room.

You know what children, keep enjoying yourselves. I'll be back. My husband is calling.


...

Thanks for reading!

Article by: Oluwadurotimi Okediji
Food, Nutrients and Health.

56 comments:

  1. To be continued ke🤥 when I was already flowing with the story😂😂😂😂🙄
    Nice one😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. The suspense is splendid.
    I love the storyline.
    I can't afford to miss tomorrow's edition

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well-done boss!

    Patiently waiting for tomorrow's episode.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exquisite write up.👍👍 you're doing well boss

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really intriguing, expectant of the next...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Akinpelu Oluwaseyi SamuelMon May 11, 08:55:00 PM GMT+1

    Oh, this is awesome
    Anticipating for the next write up

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwwn... It's awesome. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Which type of to be continued is that, anyways the story line is nice and sweet.
    Weldone

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Suspense. Please notify me when the next is ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although you're annonymous, but I still hope you will get notified.

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Oluwadurotimi OkedijiWed May 13, 10:00:00 AM GMT+1

      Thanks for following!

      Delete
  11. Wow.....This really great my boss,I can wait to read the remaining one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is interesting....I can't wait for the next episode. Weldone boss

    ReplyDelete
  13. Weldone,am waiting for the next episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, I love this story��.
    Weldone sir

    ReplyDelete
  15. Clears throat😂, anticipating😊😊😊

    ReplyDelete
  16. Multiple thanks to every reader! ... You make this worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  17. 👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

    ReplyDelete
  18. Akinpelu Samuel OluwaseyiWed May 13, 11:10:00 PM GMT+1

    This is awesome..Faith rises within me.. Thanks for this sir..

    ReplyDelete
  19. And finally🤗..
    A good nutrition is vital for good health.
    Thank you sir

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow so wonderful more powers to ur elbows

    ReplyDelete
  21. Moderation in all things🤗🤗🤗
    Thanks for this.
    Finally💃💃💃💃💃

    ReplyDelete

Please share your view below

Action

Adbox