Translate The Page

The Rhapsody of Malnutrition

malnutrition
Raphsody of Malnutrition


Mama’s Misconception 💕

I am Oluwadurotimi and I grew up in a rural-urban settlement, as a boy 🙈 with a very small stature. I was like that from infancy, to the point that my stature became a serious concern to my mother especially. At some points when I was yet some months old, my mum became so bothered with my stature; 🥺 maybe she was trying to foresee the future from that standpoint. Smiles. It was reported that my mum took me to the clinic this faithful day for a checkup. She went to give a complain, 😳 you know trying to make the nurses understand that it seems I wasn’t healthy. 😑

So this particular nurse carried me, and paid a very close attention to me, observing all of my body parts. As I’m writing now, 🤦‍♂️ I’m still wondering about that. It was said that after she was done, she asked my mum. “So, what do you say is wrong with this champ?”. I’m very sure that even though I was some months old, I was saying in my mind to the nurse “Abi o, 🤷🏻‍♂️ Help me ask her wella o! Na so she carried me on top bed this morning say we dey go clinic.” Which is to mean in simple correct English; “Thank you, Please kindly ask her, I don’t know why she carried me from the bed this morning to the clinic.” 🏃‍♂️🏃‍♂️

“I’m concerned, he doesn’t seem healthy, all of his mates are growing rapidly but he still looks small and tiny” “Look at his leg, look at his hands …” 🥺 It was said that my mum went on and on. Seriously I wished I could remember my reaction that day, I’m sure it must have been like “But momma, why now? Why?  … Why embarrass me in public?” 😭

And so the nurse replied, “Madam, nothing is wrong with this boy!”. That little Oluwadurotimi must have screamed “Bravo!” 💪🤪 to the nurse. Then the nurse looked at my mum very closely, observing her from head to toe. Then she told my mum “You said this boy looks small, but how about you ma, the boy has your stature?” 🤔 I know at this point, I must be rolling my eyes to that nurse already and saying “Nurse Kike, you are crossing your boundary madam, I didn’t ask you to insult my mummy for me. Be careful!” 🙄

My mum was really slim as at that moment. I mean really! Well, I’m not sure of factors responsible for that, but there might be quite a number. My mum thought about the nurse’s statement, took me from her and left the clinic. Inside me I must have been singing Frank Edwards’ Happiness song, 💃🏻🤪💃🏻 I think that song was dedicated to children like me. I love my mum, such a wonderful mother! The poor woman was just concerned about her child’s wellbeing. That’s a sign of love. 🥰 My mum is no longer slim, infact she’s currently working towards reducing her belly fat. 😍💕

But here’s the point I want to strike before I proceed. Life is in phases, men are in sizes.

We see a lot of big people and think they are obese. No, bigness isn’t the measure of obesity, stop that! Men are in sizes. Some people naturally have fat tendency and that doesn’t mean they are obese yet. Likewise some others like us are very tiny and slim, as a nutritionist I have learnt, that doesn’t mean we are undernourished! In your own size, you are healthy! Men are in sizes. I hope that someone will with this stop the dieting pressure on himself or herself. Read to the end anyway, so as to get the perfect balance.


How I was ridden and underrated, though not malnourished.

So I grew as a young boy, yet maintaining my small stature. I have a lot of stories to tell, but I’ll limit it to just one today. I was in SSS 1 and I just got to Steadfast Comprehensive College, a school located at Iwo Road, Ibadan. I was in SSS 1 but I looked like a Primary school kid, 😑 no exaggerations; that was really how I looked. The concept of seniority was of value in the school. There was a bit of delay in getting my school uniform ready. So for a while, I was usually on mufti.

On this faithful day, a particular girl in JSS 2 came around me on the way entering the school hall. She was taller than I, a bit bigger too. And then somehow, she stepped on my toes, I almost stumbled. 😥 Then she pushed me slightly and even accused me of stepping her after I stumbled. In mind I was like, “Oh snap! 🤦‍♂️ Are you out of your senses?” But I was still new in the school, and I was still trying to observe the environment. So I calmed down and watched her blabber in silence, and then politely walked out of her.

I’m sure the young girl must had been shocked weeks later discovering that I was her senior, two classes apart. I have countless experience as such, but they aren’t the topic of discussion today.

What then is Malnutrition?

Malnutrition is a condition that results from eating a diet in which one or more nutrients are either not enough or are too much such that the diet causes health problems. It may involve calories, protein, carbohydrates, fat, vitamins or minerals. This is the balanced view I’ll like to communicate to the public. Nutrient excess or Nutrient deficit is known as malnutrition.

In this regard, we have undernutrition and overnutrition. Undernutrition is a deficiency of calories or of one or more essential nutrients. Undernutrition may develop because people cannot obtain or prepare food, have a disorder that makes eating or absorbing food difficult, or have a greatly increased need for calories. Overnutrition is a form of malnutrition in which the intake of nutrients is oversupplied. The amount of nutrients exceeds the amount required for normal growth, development, and metabolism.

There are two major causes of undernutrition

1. Poor Diet (Reduced intake of nutrients)
2. Bodily Organ malfunction resulting in reduced absorption of the nutrients into the body

Ingestion and absorption are two different things. So not everyone who is under-nourished is not eating properly. Some are eating well, maintaining good dieting, but the problem is their body system not absorbing the nutrients as supposed.

In Africa, when malnutrition is mentioned, the only picture painted in the minds on many is the picture of very thin and slim children and women. Many people take under nutrition as malnutrition. But only a few are aware that obesity is also a sign of malnutrition.

Whether it is undernutrition or overnutrition, both are considered Malnutrition. Malnutrition is an imbalanced intake of nutrients.

The concept of nutrition is the concept of balance. Balance cannot be separated from nutrition discussions. In all of your eating, maintain modesty. I hope to see you continually living in health.

Thanks for reading!
Oluwadurotimi Okediji.
Food, Nutrients and Health
……………………………………………………..

Read other related articles below

10 comments:

  1. The conversation between the small Oluwadurotimi, his mum and the nurse😂😂. Kudos to our mothers,they always want to see their children grow.
    Nice write up. I love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwn ... I couldn't stop laughing while writing too

      Thanks a lot!

      Delete
  2. Well, people need to be told. Age don't depict size
    My small stature story is not from this planet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwn ... I'll anticipate the great day the story will be told.

      Thanks a lot!

      Delete
  3. Great! Thanks for sharing this knowledge.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your view below

Action

Adbox