Translate The Page

MSG (Monosodium Glutamate): Healthy or Unhealthy?

*MSG (Monosodium Glutamate): Healthy or Unhealthy?*

Good morning friends! Welcome to today’s episode of Food, Nutrients & Health.
I’ll like to start by sharing with us my experience.

I’m a typical African, birthed and raised by African parents in an African environment. My parents had this distaste for artificial seasonings, I’m not sure if they were also like that from onset or maybe some things led to the other, but as far back as I can remember, we really do not make use of artificial seasonings except on rare cases when we had visitors or maybe on special occasions. And my mum was always careful with the use even at such times.
Around my early days in Secondary School, we were used to buying the African locust bean from markets, sun-drying it, and then we grind them into powder using the electric dry-blender. This could last as long as possible with us at home, and the natural pungent smell of the locust bean is always almost eliminated by that process. The dried and grounded locust bean was the seasoning we used at home, and my mum also always had great interest in onions. And I can bet you, the meals are always more than just delicious, they are always superb!

On the basis of this, I discovered when I grew that my taste buds could easily detect the taste of artificial seasoning in foods and so because of that I really do not appreciate the flavour of artificial seasoning. Something even happened sometimes last month if I’m right. I had a friend prepare noodles for me. He was to prepare for himself and myself. So he was in the kitchen preparing, I think I needed to go outdoor for something while he was preparing. On my return back, there was this aroma that had filled the entire place, the kind of aroma many of us will refer to as an awesome and pleasant smell. Whichever way, it was the aroma of the seasoning that came with the noodles pack. This aroma was so strong; I knew instantly that my friend had all of the seasoning that came with the packs of noodles.

I was actually annoyed about that, I wasn’t used to the taste of artificial seasoning in foods, especially when for me, it seems too much. And I expressed my displeasure to him that same day. I was like, “Oh God! Why will you use all the seasoning in the pack? As in, A-L-L? You could have used just little”. I went on and on complaining until the food that day was ready. Anyway, when the meal was done, contrary to my thought the taste was still moderate. But the aroma was so concentrated.
Why exactly I’m I taking out time to share my experience? It is because I want you to know the personal opinions of the writer even before he started to engage on research on the topic. And I actually tried my best to not allow my personal opinions reflect in the write-up. I really tried to base my conclusion in this write-up on the facts I was able to gather.

The major challenge I’m having is that I personally have not been able to perform any research on the topic, so my assumptions and conclusion in this write-up is largely based on the report from many others who have claimed to have performed their research on the topic.
So now, that I may be able carry everyone along. What exactly is MSG or Monosodium Glutamate?

The term MSG is an acronym for Monosodium glutamate. It is popularly known as a flavour enhancer, it is a common food additive with the e-number E621. MSG enhances the meaty savoury flavour of foods which is often referred to as ‘Umami’, the fifth kind of taste. It is the secret behind the delicious taste of many processed and packaged foods we consume. It is very popular in Asian cuisines especially. Most of artificial seasonings have MSG as an active ingredient. It is against the ethics of my profession to mention or tag food products. However, foods containing MSG are always having the information on their label, as it is always required of them to state its presence in food.

The truth is MSG is a very controversial food additive, I mean very! Certain reports claim it has certain disadvantages, while organizations like FDA (Food and Drug Administration) have classified MSG as a food ingredient that is “generally recognized as safe” (GRAS). Why then is there still a controversy? I think an intellectual mind will normally ask.

But I’m sorry I’ll like to pause it here for today, so as not to load us with too much of information today. Join me on the topic next Saturday as I make progress on my discussion.

Thanks for reading!
Do enjoy your weekend.

Article By:
Oluwadurotimi Okediji
(Immanuel Rottex)
Food, Nutrients & Health.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your view below

Action

Adbox